How To Eat Giant Fried Flying Ants

This post is dedicated to those who've uttered the words "I'LL NEVER..."


STEP 1

Find a Malawian an unsuspecting eleven year old British girl with a butter tub full of giant fried flying ants.


STEP 2

Open the box.

You don't necessarily have to open the box yourself, best to let someone else do it for you.

STEP 3

Harness the power of unsolicited pep talks from 6th graders.

"Tastes like buttered popcorn."

"No, it tastes like bacon."

"Ms. Dinwiddie and Mr. Ammentorp ate one."

STEP 4

Pick up a giant fried flying ant.


STEP 4B

Have someone else put it in your hand due to deep seated fear of insects kicking in and preventing you from holding the giant flying ant (brain doesn't care if it's dead) for more than half a second.

STEP 5

Put on a brave smile. 


Chant:  "I am Anthony Bourdain."
&
"You're a grown up now and you can TOTALLY handle this."


HINT:  Chanting is best done silently to yourself because you wouldn't want anyone to think you're crazy.

STEP 6

Film it for the world to see how easy it is how you embraced this rare opportunity ... and lived. 


I couldn't tell you what it tasted like.  All I could think about while I was trying to down that sucker was how distinct those little legs were on my tongue.  I tried to chew the ant, but I ended up swallowing it whole. I even had to take a couple of gulps as those pesky legs got caught in the back of my throat   (insert gag reflex here). 

{dramatic pause for recovery breath}

Anyway, I knew the day would come when I would eat an insect but I didn't think it was going to happen on International Day (hence the fun outfits), but it seems kind of fitting now that it's all said and done.  

RECOMMENDATIONS FOR FURTHER RESEARCH

If you decide that someday you would like to determine if giant fried flying ants actually taste like bacon or buttered popcorn, I would recommend removing the legs first.  Or in my case, have someone else remove the legs for you. 

If you're interested in other culinary delights available in Lilongwe, might I suggest mice on stick as detailed here.

5 comments:

  1. So glad you made a video. I will watch that when I need a good laugh. You are brave! I could never...

    ReplyDelete
  2. how that was so cool and brave. _ larissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. You surely love your kids to eat that. I remember when you were a picky eater...... I can see they love you too! You all are having the time of your lives.

    Love

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha so nasty! I miss our bible study..but I am glad you are there and getting to have new experiences!

    Adriana

    ReplyDelete