Teaching In Malawi

During the summer of 2010, I will be journeying abroad and taking my science teaching skills to Lilongwe, Malawi in Africa. Yes, you read that right—Africa. Let me explain a little as to how this came to be.

A few years ago while at church, I was introduced to a group of teachers that were heading off to teach at the African Bible College Christian Academy (ABCCA) in Malawi. A couple of the teachers were even acquaintances of mine from college and this program struck me as something that I could do. Of course, I tried to dismiss this, but I kept coming back to this program and my desire to be apart of it has continued to grow.

Last spring, I got in touch with a local contact for the organization and learned that the college president and his wife, the head of ABBCA, would be in town that very next week on a visit from Malawi. Coincidence?!! As you can imagine, I met with them one evening and learned more about ABCCA. The more I have learned about ABBCA, the more that I have confirmed that ABBCA is where I need and want to be. ABCCA has even recently finished construction on a brand new science facility. Seriously! Journeying to Africa to teach at ABBCA has definitely become my calling. African Bible College in Malawi is a place where they really want to serve and be a blessing to the surrounding community. In addition to a top notch college, ABC has a low cost community medical facility, and an affordable high quality private Christian preK-12 academy that strives to have a student population that is half Malawian and accepts students regardless of nationality or religion. Additionally, ABC partners to support many local community outreach organizations.

I cannot begin to tell you just how excited I am to be apart of this amazing program for a country nick-named the “warm heart of Africa.” Needless to say as someone who has had an impact on my life, keeping me in your thoughts and prayers is vitally important as I trek across the world to live, teach, and serve in a place that I have never even visited. Nevertheless, I am confident that my skills and talents will be utilized and I will be truly blessed by the whole experience.

In order to keep the cost of education low to the families of ABBCA, I will be teaching as a volunteer missionary. I have some funds saved and set aside for this but I will not have enough to support myself for two full years. I am guessing that helping Africa may have been something on your heart, but giving to a big organization may not have been something that you have been comfortable with and spending time in Africa may not be feasible for you either. However, I would like to ask that you consider partnering with me in this endeavor through prayer and/or financial support.

If you are interested in following me through this process I will continue to update this blog throughout the next couple of years. I encourge you to view the links to current teachers in Malawi, so you can preview what life will be like for me. Additionally, I am on Facebook and I will have updates there, too. If you would like to know more about ABCCA, http://www.africanbiblecolleges.org/ has a lot of great information and photos.

Keep me in your thoughts and prayers as I need them probably even more than I can imagine. :)

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment