In April, a container will be shipped to Malawi from Mississippi that will probably arrive sometime after I do in late July/early August. I am trying to keep a running list of all the things I will be packing. I know that many of you have spent some time living and traveling abroad, so I would love your feedback. Please leave a comment if you see anything that I am missing and you think would be helpful. I am essentially packing for two years to live in a place that does not have access to a lot of modern conveniences. If those conveniences are available they are expensive.
- Cookbooks with scratch recipes. I have the Joy of Cooking and Betty Crocker. Recommendations are welcomed (and needed, if you have had my cooking J)
- Clothing for pretty much the entire time I am there. It's hot!
- Extra socks and underwear as local detergents are harsh on clothing.
- Shoes (running, hiking, dress, walking, sandals)
- All medicines
- Contact lens cleaner solutions, saline (got to love Costco)
- Tape – all types (random - apparently not readily available)
- Batteries and chargers – all types
- Teaching Supplies (that's a whole other list)
- Sunglasses, glasses, extra glasses (good thing my prescription has not changed in the last decade).
- Laptop, printer
- Smoke detector
- Water filters
- Head lamp – power outages average 3X/week
- Reusable containers, towels, napkins, bags
- One piece swimsuit (prefer one that isn't scary ugly)
- Book day costume (in lieu of a Halloween costume)
- Mosquito repellent
- Good hair cutting scissors (nervous about what this implies J)
- Chocolate chips (very expensive)
- Electric kitchen supplies
- A good pot and pan (quality is hard to find)
- Water thermos/cooler
Packing For Africa: Part 2
Packing For Africa: Part 3
Packing For Africa: Part 4