Packing For Africa: Part 1


    In April, a container will be shipped to Malawi from Mississippi that will probably arrive sometime after I do in late July/early August. I am trying to keep a running list of all the things I will be packing. I know that many of you have spent some time living and traveling abroad, so I would love your feedback. Please leave a comment if you see anything that I am missing and you think would be helpful. I am essentially packing for two years to live in a place that does not have access to a lot of modern conveniences. If those conveniences are available they are expensive.


  • Cookbooks with scratch recipes. I have the Joy of Cooking and Betty Crocker. Recommendations are welcomed (and needed, if you have had my cooking J)
  • Clothing for pretty much the entire time I am there. It's hot!
  • Extra socks and underwear as local detergents are harsh on clothing.
  • Shoes (running, hiking, dress, walking, sandals)
  • All medicines
  • Contact lens cleaner solutions, saline (got to love Costco)
  • Toiletries
  • Tape – all types (random - apparently not readily available)
  • Scissors
  • Batteries and chargers – all types
  • Flashlight
  • Camera
  • Teaching Supplies (that's a whole other list)
  • Sunglasses, glasses, extra glasses (good thing my prescription has not changed in the last decade).
  • Stamps
  • Laptop, printer
  • Smoke detector
  • Water filters
  • Head lamp – power outages average 3X/week
  • Reusable containers, towels, napkins, bags
  • One piece swimsuit (prefer one that isn't scary ugly)
  • Book day costume (in lieu of a Halloween costume)
  • Mosquito repellent
  • Spices
  • Good hair cutting scissors (nervous about what this implies J)
  • Chocolate chips (very expensive)
  • Electric kitchen supplies
  • A good pot and pan (quality is hard to find)
  • Water thermos/cooler
Interested in learning more about what to pack for Africa?  Check out these helpful posts.
     Packing For Africa:  Part 2
     Packing For Africa:  Part 3
     Packing For Africa:  Part 4

2 comments:

  1. Really love your Blog Site! I am going to read the other Blogs to find out more about Malawi too! I will write later.

    Love,

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. hope you like it over there i bet it will be very nice well you take care and see you soon hope. sincerely larissa robles your eight gader

    ReplyDelete